Thursday 19 November 2009

Childhood memories and into the future: LEGO


I have been seeing a lot about Lego recently. I found a brilliant article in WUW (Whatever you Want magazine) using Lego bricks to point walls or fill in gaps in old masonry by Jan Vorman. He takes and ordinary and particularly bland wall surface and constructs a new and particularly striking area of familiar colour. I can remember creating spaces and objects with Lego as my medium if you like. I wonder why I "grew out of it"? I am considering purchasing some more soon. I would love to rekindle that basic creative spark I remember feeling with a homogonous mass before me at my disposal!



Not the most sophistocated of modeling materials but something about it makes me want to use it in some way. Could there be a practical use for its structural integrity or geometric asthetic. As shown by Vorman negative space can be highlighted very effectively.
The official Lego website has a new programme which allows you to create your own digital model and then have it assembled, priced and sent to you. Other than it being an entertaining application and marriage of virtual design it is a simple way to realise ideas in a particularly recognisable and attractive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment