Friday 2 October 2009

Mike Press: Think BIG

Today's lecture held by Mike Press, the Dean of Design In DoJ was an inspiring one to say the least. And quite frightening. The title - 'Design in the Age of Knowlege, Experience and Terror' opened my eyes to a very new, exiting and daunting challenge to think BIG.
He set the scene with examples of this scale of thinking, introducing Isambard K Brunel - a large scale designer of the idustrial age photographed here infront of enormous shipyard chains. It was indeed inspiring to even hear of minds that go to these lengths to achive an outcome so large.
Being told that we were to be designers of the World was something that seems obvious but aslways convienient to ignore from my own personal experience. I felt compelled to look to the world in a new and much more urgant way. I hope that will continue. It is up to me to to change as well as making change happen in this world.
Press put an interesting point across about the fact that design bacame "small." I did not realise the emphasis placed on detail and "artefacts" in order to sell and to be consumed. Through the day I began to wonder how things could turn out if design bacame bigger again. with this added layer of detail and consumerism I wonder how the future can be moulded.
"If we think big we design big." An exiting fact about how to behave in this world of increasing diversity and ideas. How do I think big and therefor design big? All of his examles screamed at me to seek and nework with the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment